In a League of his Own.

On Cam and mine's quest to be active parents we took Joshy to a Dodgers game. No, I'm not kidding. We really took our 3 month old son to a very loud and very bright baseball game. Our amazing friends Jeff and Rachel Nelson invited us--Rachel was the Beehive advisor when I was the Beehive counselor in our Young Women's program. So let me just say again, they are so amazing and fun--especially when it came to sitting next to our crying baby for hours.

Here's the great thing about living in West LA: sometimes you can reap the benefits of knowing the uber wealthy. It was Jeff's boss who gave him 4 tickets 5 rows behind home plate. FYI for the sports illiterate those are AMAZING seats. You could actually see us in the background on Sportscenter. Along with the seats we got to go in the Dodger's club or something like that. It's this club house that has a ton of swanky food being cooked by chef's and free ice cream and pop corn. Honestly, I was more excited by the food than the game (surprise.) I'll stop boring you and show the goods:

The few minutes that Joshua didn't cry at the game


Swank seats


Joneses and Nelsons. Joshua's face is priceless.

So the food was good, the seats were good the company was good and Joshy lost it for the majority of the time. Poor guy, he was so flippin' tired and every time he fell asleep in my arms something would happen to send the fans roaring or booing. 

Another amazing thing about West LA: people love babies. You would totally not expect this. Cameron got up to take Joshua into the clubhouse when he was fussing but the family in front of us told him to sit down and enjoy the game. Their words were they had 4 kids, they're totally used to the noise and if it gets really bad the dude's wife would love to hold him. Haha...thats actually what everyone says when we take J out in public and he gets a little fussy. People here love babies and always want to hold him. I would oblige but i'm a little too freaked out about baby snatchers and junk. Yes, baby snatchers. Don't even get me started ok? 

Anywho, everyone was uber cool about having a crying baby at the game. I was so worried that people would judge me and call me a bad mom, but everyone was smiling at him and making that pouty "oh you're so cute even though you're sad" face. One lady even said, "oh he is an old soul." We became best friends with her. Cam's shift with J had even better results. 3 guys came up to him and talked about their babies that were at home and they had that "I'm a dad, you're a dad, thats super cool" male bonding.

More bonding happened during the game over drinks. Not us...but everyone else. I didn't realize how. much. people. drink at these games!!! It was funny. The more drunk people got the more they loved our baby. Very enlightening.

On a completely different note, they handed out free dodger fleece blankets. Again, I was probably more excited about the blankets than the score. But when I got home and opened the blanket up it said Brooklyn on it, and then had a little tiny logo at the bottom that said Dodgers. My reaction: "..........." Cam's reaction: "Hm. weird. So what do you want for dinner?"

Comments

  1. People here totally love babies or giant children like mine that like to yell and swing spoons.

    But if you ever want to go out without baby Josh. Let us know, we're down for the experience of having two kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Jeff!!! Please tell him hello from me. And remind him of the time I dominated the tube. Don't forget, please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome story. and it really is crazy how much people drink. And all my friends that move away from UT keep telling me how much people love their babies. Especially in big cities, like NYC and LA etc. Our friends that lived in Brooklyn this summer have a suhweet chubby, ginger baby and they said everyone (basically gangsters) in Brooklyn would FREAK out about their baby and just love on them all. the. time. So funny. Glad baby J is getting in on that action. I just wish I could get in on the action myself and have a cow over him. Can't wait to meet him :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. love that you took him. Aaron and I are trying to go to the U of U game at CAL in october and Vivian will just come right along with us. So glad to hear it is possible. I love that you have him swaddled at the game!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts