Joshua Christian Jones

Well! It's about time I introduce my baby to the blogosphere.

Joshua Christian Jones was born June 18, 2011 weighing 8 lbs 11 oz and was 21 inches long. He came into the world via "crash" c-section but was born a perfect and healthy little boy.

I know its taken me a long time to write/post pics but right now I'm in the "screw the world, I have a newborn and stitches" mind frame right now.

Anywho, I forced myself into labor by standing all day on my due date, taking a long walk (freaking out the gardeners along the way) and then took my mom's chinese colleague's advice to take a hot shower and run the water on my lower back for a long time.

Lo and behold! Cameron walked in the door that friday at 4:45 right as I was getting out of the shower. Whoopsies, he was the one who noticed the bloody fluid soaking through my towel. If it sounds gross, its because it is. I wasn't sure if that was my "water" or my mucous plug (again, gross, but its the human body) so I continued to get ready for the night to go out and enjoy our last date night together. Well, I kept leaking fluid. Big shout out to my friend Stacey who I called and told me to go to the hospital.

So my water broke! We happily drove to the hospital, singing songs, getting excited about a baby and taking happy smiley pictures together. The docs checked me out and yes, that was my water coming out! Yippey! And oh my! is that a contraction? How exciting!

We were told to walk around the hospital for a couple of hours to get my labor going. And we did. It was a blast! It was the most time that we spent together in weeks so more happy smiley pictures were taken. A few hours later Cam fell asleep on couch in our saweeet labor and delivery room while I bounced on my yoga ball. Aside: If you are pregnant I highly recommend getting a yoga ball when you're in labor. It is a million times better than laying down, and 10 times better than walking around.

So, contractions were coming on strong at that point. No more happy smiley pictures. They forced me onto the bed to monitor the babe and my contractions. I was getting suicidal. Pushy doctor came in and demanded that I get induced because my contractions weren't as close together (well yes they weren't as close together because you were forcing me to lay down instead of walking/bouncing. Argh.) Cam and I weren't too happy. Nice sweet nurse came in and heard our concerns and made pushy doctor calm down. So instead of getting hopped up on pitocin they put this myso thing in my cervix to help soften things up.

So again, I had to lay down and be monitored. Hell. It was hell! Two hours of being monitored. I couldn't take it anymore so I asked for the epidural. Pushy doctor said it was ok because I was dilated to a 5. Funny anesthesiologist came in and said I was a really calm patient. Let me just say, epidurals are the jam. I felt it immediately. My body could finally relax and I could actually joke around with Cameron again. Happy smiley times return!

Not for long. 15 minutes after getting the epidural snuggle bug's heart rate drops. It drops low. All of a sudden 10 nurses were in the room and rolling me from side to side. I literally had no idea what was going on. Then before I knew it my bed was being wheeled out of the room and into the OR. Uh, yeah I get a little anxious. Like, what the hell is going on? Where is my husband. Why can't I feel my lungs anymore?

The OB who would do my C-section held my hand and petted it all while telling me that the baby's heart rate had dropped really low and that there was a possibility they'd have to do a c-section. His heart rate went up again, but then plummeted when the funny anesthesiologist doped me up even more to prep for the surgery. Cam was all of a sudden at my head stroking my hair and then the beeping on the monitor slowed and the "ok, lets do this" is heard around the room. 30 seconds later there was a baby crying. Before I even knew it my kid was here!

Later they told us that his heart rate dropped because my contractions were coming on so strong and so close together he didn't have a chance to recover from them.

So of course, I was doped up. I started crying and saying how I didn't want a c-section all while breathing like a lunatic because I was freaked out and couldn't feel my lungs. Cam peeked over the blue tent and said that it looked like a war movie. Thats pretty cool. And makes me want to vomit at the same time.

Anywho, all the nurses exclaim in unison "Oh he's handsome!" and then laugh because apparently he projectile pooped all over the NICU team. Cam walked over holding this cute little guy. I couldn't hold him yet because my insides were all over my outsides still. We both couldn't tell who he looked like until he popped open the biggest peepers you've ever seen. It was a combination of Cam's wide set eyes and my big eyes.
So there you have it. Joshua's birth story. It was cah-razy. But in the end I was treated like a princess because I was a crash c-section and apparently didn't complain (according to all my maternity ward nurses.) The only reason I was cool was because I was so doped up on pain meds my entire time at the hospital.

And I know everyone says this but my maternity nurses were so freaking amazing. The first night nurse was named Jocelyn and made me want to cry because she was so good to us. She helped me stand for the first time and go to the bathroom. Let me just say that whole experience looked like a murder scene. Blood everywhere, all down my legs all over the floor and bathroom. And she just cleaned it all off while telling me how awesome I was doing. I seriously did NOT want to leave the hospital!

But here I am with a week old baby who is such a baller. He eats like a freaking champion (because he's a boy?) and sleeps like an angel.
Sweetest man-cub face ever. He's getting bigger and more like his daddy every day. They sleep in the same position and even make the same serious/I'm concerned for you face.

We went to the pediatrician the day after getting home from the hospital and his states were height: 95%, and weight: 95%. He's a big healthy boy. He is just so dang long. He must've inherited the recessive ridonkulously tall genes that both Cam and I have.

I have a lot more pictures but they're all on Cameron's phone. I have to upload them to his computer sometime but there will definitely be more pics. Or you can just friend him on facebook and see all the pics Cam has already put up. I'm a slaker. Wait, no I'm not. I had a crash c-section. My out-patient packet literally says "you're the princess, all you have to do is eat and feed the baby." So yeah! I'm the princess. I can barely function just trying to keep myself and this little one alive. I sleep whenever he sleeps (except for now) and all the other times he's permanently attached to my boob.

Well, longest post ever. But worth it.

Comments

  1. "...because he's a freaking baller." hahahaha. Best line of the whole thing. Awesome post! well done, Katie! And congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Katie! He is a stud muffin ... make that a mini-muffin. Congratulations on being awesome, having that baby and blogging so I can snoop on your new life with an adorable baby. Lots of love to you, Cam and Joshua!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not going to lie, I've been missing the Katie commentary this past week. Baby J is pretty awesome, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yay congrats! this is the least mushy baby birth story i think i've ever seen. but that is actually a good thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! He's so handsome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So SO SOOOOO excited and happy for you both!!! Congratulations! He is so adorable! And yes, you totally deserve princess status right now! I would've been crapping my pants with fear and you sounded like you took everything in stride. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow what a story! You are amazing. I am so glad everything turned out ok and I hope all continues to go well for you and your little family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. HA HA! You are such a great writer and this is such an amazing story on so many levels! What a cute little boy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts