Day 3


Holy moly, I've got to keep blogging about this trip before I forget about it! Cam, Josh and I all got hit with the most GNARLY stomach bug a weekish ago, and then Cam's sweet Grandad passed away. We're still kinda reeling from everything, so, my apologies.

On to the trip!

We started our third day in Amsterdam by attempting to walk to the Rijksmuseum, which, by the way, was really, really, really far from our hotel. The concierge said that we had to walk, that WE HAD TO WALK because it was such a beautiful day. Here's the thing, I think the dutch get so few clear and sunny days that any time the sun peeks out they're like "MOVE THE MASSES OUTSIDE! EVERYONE GET VITAMIN D OR DIE!" So we followed his advice and walked forever! to try and find the Rijksmuseum.

At the very beginning of our walk, in Dom Square in front of the government house.

We walked along the flower district and it was beautiful! Like a half mile of just a gazillion little flower shops

Yes. Please.

Like an hour later we found the Rijksmuseum. Cameron told me to pose, and I was super tired and a little ticked off.

Ok, so the Rijksmuseum is famous because it has a ton of the old Dutch masters' works in it like Rembrandt, Vermeer, Frans Hals etc.

The reason this place is such a big deal is because of the "Night Watch" by Rembrandt, illegally taken. Boo ya Cam! This painting is ginormous. It was really awesome to see it in person. Also, fun fact, Night Watch in dutch is "Nachten Wachten". Just say it, you'll feel better.
 
Ok, seeing that Vermeer in person was ah. maze. ing. I was geeking out over it and Cameron patiently listened to me ramble off every known fact there was about every painting and painter. Very sweet and patient guy. I was a little annoyed that this important looking british guy wearing a tweed suit and carrying a cane (seriously? everything about that screams authority) was getting to paintings ahead of me and saying everything that I KNEW about them to his little harem of white-haired ladies. I was like, shoot, I was all excited to tell Cameron that the painting was about a prostitute and a buyer, not a girl and a suitor. Ugh. That guy was a huge buzz kill. 

Entrance. Museums here are like going through airport security. I was kind've waiting for a guard to cavity search me at one point. TMI.

Cute little gardens in front of the museum

Shout out to King Henry and the man thigh!

Yeah, babe, I did have to post both pictures.

Me: "Cameron! do something fun!"

Oh yeah

um, how did this picture end up here. I was a little low-blood sugar at this point

Cameron posing with some german dudes trying to get their ish together and totally ruining my shot


We're under the M. I guess those German dudes got it together to REALLY ruin my shot

Yes!

In front of the concert hall that I was informed gave free concerts at noon! Except no one told me it was only noon on Wednesdays, and it was a Tuesday. Katie fail.

Lunch at an Indonesian restaurant called Sama Sebo. Basically fell in love with the little Indonesian guys serving us. Someone told us to order the Rijstaffel, which is like the chef's tasting menu. It was cray-cray expensive and some of the stuff they brought out I was like....why, um, just why...would...anyone...ever....want....sweet and sour cucumbers?! Yikes. But as we were leaving the owner gave me like 60 little chocolates.

statue? I forget what was happening here



pissed off at the amazing Albert Cuyp market! This place took up like a mile of street and had vendors on both sides selling everything you can imagine. Weird men's lingerie? Check. Every fruit and vegetable you can imagine? Check. Cookies and chocolates?! Check. I was excited about that until I saw the chocolate penises for sale. I swear, I was so done seeing open-air genitalia at the end of this trip.

Omg. This was the best part of my day. At the market, there was a guy sitting in a wheel chair all decorated for something and he was playing the harmonica. Worst harmonica playing I have ever heard. No beat, or rhythm or anything. I was laughing so hard, it just made my day. It reminded me when my little brother and I would steal my dad's harmonica and try to play it when we were pretending to be hobos. Basically the same effect.

The first good street performer in all of Holland and his gimmick was wearing this mask!

Oh cool! What is it again? I have no idea. 


Beautiful canals on our way to the Anne Frank House

You handsome American devil.

Ok. We had just gone through the Anne Frank House, which, if I'm being honest, I didn't really put it on the roster for our trip. But Cameron really wanted to go, and I am so glad that we did. It was one of the most touching, and heartbreaking museums I have ever been in. I think afterwards I just sat down and cried and thought "but why did she have to die! She only had to live for one more week!" Anyways, I highly recommend this place. We were both an emotional wreck afterwards, but so worth it. (Oh FYI, the city made a museum out of the actual house Anne Frank and her family lived in, you walk through and see where they hid and stuff. They have quotes, her real diary, and videos of the germans taking over Amsterdam.)

My other favorite part of the day was when we found a little cafe to grab some dinner and we skyped with Cam's mom and Joshy! I was so happy to finally see my little man! Buuuuuut, also happy to have Cameron all to my selfish self for an entire week.



Comments

  1. Well, I can't believe we missed the Anne Frank house. We took pictures in front of it, but didn't think it was worth the line. FYI, I totally smuggled tulips from there to my grandma. I was so proud! :) She has them growing in her back yard!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts