Let's talk about: Sports.

And when I mean sports I mean BYU basketball and Jimmer. WOO!

But, one thing has been bothering me. A lot of other basketball teams consider us their rivals, when in fact, we do not consider them our rivals.

So lets talk about fans--specifically UNLV fans. Lets make one thing clear, I have absolutely nothing against UNLV or their basketball team, or even the students. For some reason UNLV fans who comment on my friends' posts and show up on my facebook newsfeed sound uneducated, illiterate and lets be honest, down right stupid. For example:

Unnamed BYU alum friend of mine posts "I'm sorry but the New Mexico basketball team bugs me"

UNLV fan says "Not as much as the byu team bothers all of america!"

Uh...what? Seriously, give me a break. 1. I know this UNLV fan and she did not go to UNLV, she went to hair school...in Provo. And 2. are you just bitter because we easily defeated UNLV...TWICE? 3. Jimmer has been featured on the cover of New York newspapers. People I know who have only lived in New York for a few months and therefore consider themselves "New Yorkers" claim it to be the greatest city in the world. If the greatest city in the world is excited about Jimmer...that means not all of America is annoyed by him. Just you, and your hair school friends. Holy smokes, my sarcasm meter is off the charts.

Another one of my close friends, who is a BYU alum and was raised in Vegas wrote a status about Jimmer...surprise. Who hasn't. (Just shut up and get on the band wagon.) Another UNLV fan got upset with her because she was rooting for BYU...her alma mater. She was rooting for the university that she studied at for 4 years and graduated from with a degree. My friend made this point back at the offended UNLV fan, but clearly he did not understand what "alma mater" means. He was still upset and said something to the effect of "real people from vegas and real people from our high school root for UNLV" Really. High school....really? PLEASE!!! I wish that these people would just read what they are about to post out loud and realize how stupid they sound.

I do realize that it sounds like I'm saying suck it to New York, Vegas and hair school, but I'm really not. Promise.

And I guess while we're talking about lame-o fans it is my duty to talk about SDSU. Again, let me make it clear that I have great friends who went to SDSU who could not be more respectful of my religion and others. I know that not all SDSU fans scream bigoted chants or make offensive signs. I really appreciate that. Honestly, thank you to all of the educated people out there who respect religions of all kinds.

So here's to "The Show" or the SDSU guys who dress up as Mormon missionaries, and hold up signs saying "Jimmer, which one of your wives gave you mono?" Really, those fans have truly shown how classless, uneducated and bigoted they are.

When I found out that after BYU beat SDSU and the SDSU fans started chanting "You're still Mormon" I didn't get it. Well yes, fact: Those players and their fans are INDEED still mormon. As long as we're throwing out some facts, here are a few for you. Fact: scoreboard. Fact: you're a douche. Truly, truly truly a douche for mocking someone's religion. Fact: congrats on beating us at the Mountain West conference. You really beat us by a huge margin. Fact: Even though you won, some of your players still had to be a douche and talk smack to BYU players right after the game. Fact: I respect your coach for asking the student body to not be disrespectful towards us. Fact: you're still a douche and a bigot. Since when did it become ok again to mock someone's religion? Something that people hold sacred you clown around in at a basketball game. Fact: you're a douche.

I just wish that everyone at SDSU could live by the famous line given by Ron Burgundy "Stay classy San Diego."

I know it isn't very Christlike of me to call people a douche...but hey, the facts are facts.

Go ahead, get pissed. Go Cougs.

Comments

  1. OK, why have I not been reading your blog every day of my life? Because you're hilarious. Also, I miss you a real big lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both the orr's are speechless...a thank goodness Katie jones exists and loves us kind of speechless...a go cougs kind of speechless...a she just said douche ten times kind of speechless...a we love you and are so glad were not your enemy kind of speechless

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gosh i'm just so obsessed with you. i burst out laughing out loud. i think i might make your douche monologue my facebook status... just so everyone else can appreciate it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. its not jimmer we are annoyed by... its all in the fun of sports and games. sorry that something so little could irritate you so much. oh and sorry if i just sounded uneducated.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts