Real Conversations with Cam's Classmates

The following conversations actually happened:

This convo happened at a "pub" event (every Thursday Wharton has a huge empty armory that they have a ton of beer and wine at.) Most people like to take advantage of that. Between me, Cameron, and a Rugby Player:

RP: "Cam! You gotta join rugby club!"

C: "Oh hahaha, yeah, I'm just signed up for a lot of sports clubs already."

RP: "No man! You P90X so hard! You gotta join Rugby!"

K: Awkward smile, and remembering that unfortunate incident with a rugby player back in 2006

RP: "Look dude, there's only certain things that only dudes can do with other dudes, yaknowwhatimean? Haha"

................................

K: ......gay stuff?! (didn't say it out loud, but I guess even through his drunken haze the rugby player could read it on my face.)

RP: "No no nonononononoo, I'm married (points to wedding band on hand holding his beer) but. Like. Haha! There's only some things that only dudes can do with only other dudes, hahahaha! "(continues to drink heavily.)

.................................

K: ............Ok, so, gay stuff.

Cameron politely steers me away and then informs me that its more likely strippers.

This next excerpt took place just last weekend, at a barbeque post "hogfest" (all the ivy-league rugby teams meet up and play each other at Penn. So, more rugby, more drinking, and then everyone retired to a barbeque with, you guessed it, more drinking.) Cam and I are on the roof-top deck, when one of his classmates (rugby player) comes up and Cam introduces me.

K: "oh wow! You worked for NASA? That's awesome. Good for you."

RP: "Well, I got into Wharton, so good for me."

K: "Uh....yeah. Totally......."

C: "So this guy totally killed it out on the rugby field today!"

RP: "Yeah dude, it was awesome. Just getting out there and barreling into other dudes...."

K: (starting to notice a homoerotic theme)

RP2: "yeah man! You know what you have to do later since you scored!" (Both RP's start giggling)

RP: "Yeah, there's this tradition, that the first time you score, that night, someone punts the ball, and you have to take all your clothes off and run after it to get it." (They both start laughing really hard.)

K: (My eyelids are non-existent at this point because my eyes are bugging out SO HARD, and I so desperately want to know if they see how roman/greek wrestling this all looks.)

RP: "Yeah, and this one time, so-and-so punted it so hard that the ball went into the stands of the stadium, and so-and-so was just naked up there for 20 minutes looking for it! HAHAHAHA. He had to jump a fence to get it!"

K: "Ouch. I wouldn't want to do that as a woman, I can't imagine what it would be like for a man."

..........awkward silence...................

RP: "Yeah dude, I can't even imagine as a dude trying to hop a fence naked."

K: Uh, I just said that.



Same BBQ, different convo. Between me, Cam and a classmate:

C: "So dude, what a great place you have! Do you live here by yourself or do you have roommates?"

CM: "Oh no dude, I have roommates. I live with 3 other dudes. It's nice to not have any girls living here so we don't have to put up with the passive aggressive @#$%."

K:"....yeah totally."


Just one of the many times I've noticed some guys don't know how to interact with me, as a married woman. Because they're not trying to sleep with me, they honestly don't know how to give me the time of day, without offending my husband, who they want to be buddies with. And the drinking only makes it worse.

Also, I really hope I didn't come off as homophobic. It's just that these dudes made rugby sound super duper homoerotic. Not all of the Wharton rugby players are like that. I know so many absolutely lovely and well articulated rugby players (at wharton.) AND for the record, I'm not against other people drinking. It's just really bizarre for me to see these young professionals, who held very prestigious jobs, trying to relive their undergrad by getting sloppy wasted drunk every. dang. weekend. But when I really sit down and think it over, I'm older than most of these kids. Freak. I'm older. And I have children--but if I were a drinking woman I would probably drink heavily every. dang. night BECAUSE of my children.

Yeah

Anyways, I'm going to go punt this rugby ball, so you need to take all your clothes off and go catch it mmkay?!

And watch out for that chain link fence.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts