TV Reviews: Handmaid's Tale, Harlots, and Lala Land

Are you ready for a fun update about the lives and times of the Joneses?

Well put that feeling on hold because I'm just here to talk about movies and tv shows I've seen recently. BECAUSE I NEED TO DISCUSS THESE!

1.) Handmaid's Tale

Let's just get right down to it. I have seen all 5 episodes on Hulu and I have a lot of thoughts--too many for one blog post.* So today I want to talk about Nick and Offred's relationship. Here's my thoughts:

WTF Nick and Offred?

Everything seemed hurried to me. From her showing major Gilead leg to him in the house to him almost kissing her after she got the snot beat out of her by The Eye. I feel like the directors are trying to make Hulu Nick slightly hunky and romantic whereas in the book Nick initially came off as dangerous and annoying (but still hunky?)

Strangely, the ending scene of episode 5 did NOT seem way off the mark for me. WAIT WHAT? 

I know! I'm in the minority here. I have two very valid reasons to back up my feelings:
  1. Because I read the book I knew the two of them doing the deed repeatedly was going to happen. I was expecting it.
  2. And possibly my most valid point is I'm kinda into Max Minghella.

Yeahyeahyeahyeahyeahyeahyeahyeahyeahyeah. That needs some more explaining--basically my highschool celebrity crush was Milo Ventimiglia (Jess from Gilmore Girls) and I realized I had a thing for short, skinny, vaguely Italian looking dudes. Which explains why I went and married a tall, muscley, Norwegian. 
Yes Max, it really is

On another crazy note I would like some vindication for saying I thought we would fall into a "handmaiden state" when Trump got elected. Everyone gave me a weird look, said no they had never heard of the book before and now suddenly we've got women sitting in on Congress who are wearing red capes and white bonnets. Just give me this one, okay?

2.) Harlots

Another Hulu show that appears to have all the elements to be a compelling feminist watch but really is just (a) and excuse for Lady Sybil to be diiiirty and (b) to have a dirty show. 

This is a dirty show.

She knows it


I read a lot about the european sex trades in my art history classes so I was hoping that this show would be more about the historical context of men and women in the sex trade. Sadly, at least for me, the show just seems to devolve into a catfight between two Madame's who both totally suck. 

I felt like the writers also had a really great opportunity to talk about race relations back in the day but they just barely dip their toe into the race pool and quickly wimp out and decide to bask in the warmth of the white caucasian sun. 

3.) LaLa Land

I won't beat around the bush I loved this movie. I was engrossed from the opening scene to the very last. I UGLY CRIED during the "vision" or whatever that Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling had if things had been different for them. I thought this was a superbly lovely movie. There was just one thing that I could not get over the entire film--

EMMA STONE IS TOO EFFING SKINNY.

As a feminist (have I already mentioned that already? Oops...) I'm not one to burden other women with my expectations of how their bodies should look. Tots.

But I kept finding myself wishing I could just take my gal pal Emma home with me and feed her some lasagna and breadsticks. Just do the dang Olive Garden with her. None of this allottment of 20 soybeans a day nonsense. 

Carb

It

Up


::Sigh::

I'm pensive when I'm hungry too

Other valid criticisms of Lala Land can be found here


*Great articles here and here that are just a tad more meaty than mine.

Comments

  1. I didn't read the books that base the show Handmaids Tale. Jaw dropped as I watched the first few episodes. The concept of this world that has become a horrible reality is totally fascinating and I have enjoyed watching this show. I hope and pray that this world never comes a reality.

    I love your blogs.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts