Got My Eyebrows In Fleek

I'm so easily peer pressured by everything. So when writing on your family blog with pictures on a weekly basis was "in" I was semi-decent at blogging. But, as you may have noticed, it is not as en vogue as it used to be. So this blog is now used as a catharsis for me to scream "kiss my Norwegian butt!" about everything. But I'm actually going to attempt an update...right now.

First off, Cameron's internship! He's going to Atlanta this summer to work for a small healthcare tech company in a COO-ish position. I, on the other hand, will stay here in Philly with the boys because Josh's school and therapy continue through the summer. That may sound like an invitation for rapists and murderers to come but I have a very protective doorman, neighbors who, if they hear a murderous rockin, will definitely come a knockin, and last but not least, I've practiced stabbing things with my kitchen knives. And, know this, dear murderer, my knife of choice is my wusthof, which will for sure cleanly cut off limbs/genitiles/whatever comes at me.

Second: Philly is still good. It's finally started to warm up, and we have so many blossoms that I feel like i'm getting married in a Disney movie everytime I walk out the door. But holy cow, it rains a lot on the east coast. I remember as a kid calendars for the month of april always depicting rain and an umbrella and feeling like, "ugh, wtf is this?! This is my birthday month and umbrella's are lame!" I guess now, that the people who made those calendars were from the east coast. We're obviously not having any drought issues over here. There's so much water that Josh actually tried to go swimming in a mud hole at the park. And yes, that was a real thing.

Third: I've been hanging out with all of my upper middle class/upper class girlfriends and I've learned a lot. Like, guess what, the thick eyebrows? That's for real. People are doing it. Buy an eyebrow pencil; in my case I needed an eyebrow pencil AND powder to get my eyebrows in fleek.* #itsnotjustawhitegirlthinganymore . Also, high-waisted pants are also happening. AND TUCKED IN SHIRTS. All of these things are happening simultaneously, and not just in cities magazines, or your really funky hair dresser. I actually told my mom "I will burn in hell before I wear high-waisted pants" in high-school. Well, I'm here to tell you that I'm in hell and it feels nice and balmy with my high-waisted pants on.

Fourth: Joshy! Guys, he is doing so great. It's been so amazing to see him just blossom in his current program. About 2 months ago he walked into my room one morning and said "Hi, mommy!" It was the first time he's ever called me mommy, and I started crying. He's putting 4-5 word sentences together which I never thought was possible. He'll mimick just about anything you say (hallelujah!) and is now starting to mimick how other kids act/play. This is great. This is actually not great because it is phenomenal! We just had another IEP meeting with his caseworker, teachers and therapists and found out that because he has an official autism diagnosis he gets HEAPS of additional therapy. Like an additional 25 hours a week of therapy if we want it. It's wonderful.

The other wonderful thing that I have to write down so I can remember it, was talking to his teacher, Miss Debbie, who is a south Philly battle axe of a preschool teacher who's been working in education for 30 years. She was telling us how Joshy is getting better at following directions: for example, she'll tell Josh to go choose a partner to hold hands with to walk out to recess and he'll do it. She then said that some times little fights happen over who gets to hold who's hand which made me think "oh, kids are fighting because no one wants to hold Josh's hand." In reality, it's a bunch of little girls who feel this mother-ish protection over him, and they fight over who GETS to hold Josh's hand. Circle of truth: I was washing dishes the next day and had to sit down mid wash because I was bawling just thinking of that story. And God bless those sweet little girls who have friended my son. Kids like that honest to goodness deserve the world.
Mini Cameron much? Also, that's peanut butter all over his mouth. He's obsessed with it and now asks "mommi! pee buh-yer peese?" (Mommy, peanut butter please?)


Fifth: RORY! Oh gosh, this kid. I know he doesn't get a lot of spotlight on this blog, but he is just about the biggest ray of sunshine in my life. He's always good for a smile and a laugh and is just the roundest and most delicious baby ever. The poor kid was being really whiney for a few days and then we went into the doctor for a healthy check up, and the doc told me he had a double ear-infection. I had no idea! He never screamed or anything! just got a little whiney. Rory is absolutely addicted to his stuffed bunny and is constantly biting/holding/smelling the ears on that thing. It's weird...and gross...and maybe cute? Don't worry, I wash that business like 3 times a week. He toddles around pretty fast for his short chubby little body and wants to be just like brother. He's mastering the jungle gyms at the parks and if I'm not watching he'll go down the big slides head first and make me think he's broken his neck at the bottom. He's a complete extrovert: he loves people and friends and sobs his brains out when he thinks he's being left out of something. Last but not least, he's a complete daddy's boy. Wah wah. His first and only word was over Christmas break which, to no one's surprise was DADA (Cameron, that freaking sly assassin was whispering "dada" to him the second he was born!)
Creeping on Brother and the iPad

Alright Rory, you can be in this family because you love guacamole

Handsome little devil
Blowing bubbles on Penn's campus. It was pretty magical.

We went to Wharton Prom! It was too much fun, and yeah we rented a limo with a bunch of our friends. Also this is me trying to recreate those awkward prom poses.

Circle of truth I did all of these poses in high school


Ellie Kemper (unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt) came to speak at Penn about being a woman, and being strong and being awesome and I'm super obsessed with her.

Monkeys in a tree.

Attempted family pic in the cherry trees

But for real zoom in on Rory's face. He's so stoked on life.
*Eyebrows in fleek is also a real thing. Thank you Hannah for teaching me this phrase.



Comments

  1. Thick eyebrows & high waisted pants- who knew! But for reals, I love them both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you. I live to read these.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts