Pass that Dutch: Episode Two, or where I prove that I am the best traveling companion

Alright, we enter the next day of our saga where our hero and heroine slept in until 11:30 am (getting about 15 hours of sleep--what up tylenol pm!) In addition, our heroine had not eaten a decent meal in a day, and when she found out that they missed the breakfast buffet at the hotel, she completely shut down and did not speak for lack of blood sugar, emotions, and personality. 

But seriously, if you know me, you know that I need to eat, and when I don't, I completely break down and cannot function. So we set off for our day, hoping to find some food along the way. Luckily, Europe is awesome, makes the MOST delicious croissants and has a lot of open air markets. We walked for about 20 minutes down the tiny little Amsterdam streets and lo and behold, my man provided. Croissants, oranges, bananas, and when I mutely pointed to a liter of orange juice, Cameron got it. I downed the entire liter of orange juice in about 1 sitting. Ignored Cameron when he asked if he could have some. Once I finished, I became a human being again. Cameron pointed out that those were some of the first words I said since finding out we missed breakfast. Thus proving that I am THE BEST traveling companion there is. I swear, I'm so easy going. 

After returning to humanity we kept walking through Amsterdam because it was a BEAUTIFUL day! We were trying to make our way to the Hermitage--the museum where all the Van Gogh work is showcased while the Van Gogh museum is being renovated. We got lost, and a little turned around but made it to see some Van Gogh eventually.
Yay! We're lost but feel so much better after getting some sleep. (also, although it was beautiful and sunny, it was still COLD! and windy! So my eyes were mega-watering the entire time.)

Outside the Hermitage. We were standing on a pathway in the middle of these tiny little fields that were just starting to sprout beautiful spring flowers and tulips.

Taken before the stuffy guard guy said no pictures. Ugh whatever, I told Cameron to NOT delete this picture or else I'd punch that tiny little bossy guy in the face

Haha booya! Stolen picture Cameron took. His parents have a print of this hanging in their house, so we thought it would only be prudent to steal a pic of it. (I REALLY wanted to steal a pic of his cherry blossom painting but there were like 4 guards standing in that room. Lame.)



On the canal right next to the hermitage. I was super annoyed because there were only 1 1/2 floors of Van Gogh art and the entry price was twenty freakin bucks a person. Yes! I LOVE Van Gogh, but sheesh! I think that place over-valued the little Van Gogh art that they did have! Seriously, only 1.5 floors. So thats why I look a little ticked.

Cameron suggested that I suck it up and smile in a picture and then he would buy me a sandwich.

Rembrandtplein! Its this city square with life-size statue version of Rembrandt's "Night Watch"


Cameron shaking hands with the head-honcho

There were so many people just sitting and eating outside because it was sunny! And some pretty awesome musicians stopped by.

Me attempting to pose with the head honcho man.

Much better pose


This was me pretending that this guy with the outreached arm had pinched my butt

He gets a slap in the face

Believe it or not, like 3 people copied me on this pose afterwards



So many cool and ginormous churches in this city! But you couldn't tour any of them!

Ok I can't believe that we didn't take any pictures of it, but we went to Rembrandt's old house that is now turned into a museum. Definitely recommend this place! It was one of my favorite museums we toured the entire vacation. So, the house was set up mostly exactly how it was when he lived there. It showed the kitchen, the rooms and the tiny tiny tiny beds! People were so small back then! But the coolest parts were 1.) it had a LOT of Rembrandt's work hanging up on the walls, and works by his close friends which were stunning! and 2.) they had live demonstrations of how Rembrandt would have to make his paints, the entire process which was fascinating! and how he would make his prints, using an old 16th century print maker. 

While in the house, we ran into this little French family that had 14 month old. I just melted and watched that little kid for like 20 minutes. He had curly little hair and was baby speaking french so could you blame me?! It made me miss my little Josh man so much! Also, Cameron and I both agreed that the dad was INSANELY beautiful. One of the more beautiful men I've ever seen in my life (except Cam of course)



Cameron loves this photo because I was yelling at him to seriously stop taking pictures of me



On our way through the Jordaan again to get some dinner

Seriously, some of the most beautiful evening strolls I've ever been on.



Finally! A pic of my handsome husband!


We hit this cute little brasserie called "Brasserie Vlaming".  I found it on TripAdvisor (uh, best travel site ever?) and it was rated 5 stars. It was delicious food! and a great ambiance with wonderful service! The owner served us himself and was a total stud. Loved the fact that we were tourists from America.  Also, have I mentioned how much the dutch love Americans? Everyone speaks English, everyone is REALLY nice, and they weirdly love Americans. 

OMG. Ok, so I said the place was rated a 5 star, but we considered it more of a 4ish star, the dessert was this thing called "sticky toffee cake." Read about it on tripadvisor and had mourgasm while eating. (mouth+orgasm=mourgasm.) So delicious. That cake was worth the walk, it was worth everything. Oh, and we demolished it within 3 minutes.

Believe it or not, after this pic was taken I scraped the rest of the toffee off that plate and ate it.

Shout out to Vlaming! Also, the mints that they served in the Netherlands are my favorite mints ever. I want to buy a huge Costco pack, except I'm pretty sure there is no Costco in Holland.

We got back to the hotel after dinner and Cam just wanted to hang out and watch some tv, but as soon as he pressed the power button there was really heavy sexualized breathing and I screamed TURN IT OFF! So way to go Amsterdam! The most gay/sex/anything-you're-into friendly country in the world.

Comments

Popular Posts