Rory Ekeland Jones

So a little over two months ago this happened:


And let me just tell you, this birth story was EH-PICK!!!

So, its been a couple months since I've blogged so let me update you on what happened since July: I got really big, and started to almost wet my pants when I ran. Then my life turned into an exhausted haze of spin class, green smoothies and entertaining Joshy. My booty reached Kardashian status, and my belly just became a shelf for Joshy to sit on/a place to put my bowl of ice cream. 

Now, if you remember, my due date was December 2nd, and I swore up and down that "this baby WILL be born in November!" Well, spoiler alert--Rory wasn't born until DECEMBER 11. So yeah, it was terrible. I set my induction date for December 10th, so I could go to the family work party with Cameron and Joshy. You have to understand that Cam's work's family Christmas party is amazing. There's a Santa Claus with an elf there, a balloon lady that just makes unlimited balloons for the kids, a magician, presents and basically a child wonderland. And who would want to miss that?

So my last day as a preggo lady I was feeling sooo out of it. I fell asleep randomly on the couch like 3 times and felt really queasy. I thought it was maybe one of those I didn't eat enough so I feel sick type of things so I kept trying to eat food. Big mistake. The Christmas party was at the Alpine Country Club and as soon as we stepped out of the car I thought "yowza, I do NOT feel good." Then we started walking up to the club and I just couldn't move anymore. Cam looked back at me, I shook my head no, and then yacked

all

over

the country club lawn.

Epic.

Poor Cam. All he could do is stand with Josh at a distance and stare in disbelief. Same with quite a few of his colleagues. And the executive assistants. Aaaaaand the balloon lady. And her assistant. But bless the balloon lady's heart she ran up with napkins and water. 

And then. Then I felt FANTASTIC! Seriously, I cleaned myself up in the bathroom, went into the party like nothing happened (I only realized after the fact that this was a complete act of bio-terrorism) ate apples, took a picture with Joshy and Santa and partied. 
A very flattering picture of me while Joshy is kissing my cheek. Santa looks concerned, maybe he saw me puke outside?

We left early because, lo and behold, Cam got the same bug except way worse. Thank goodness for prayers and priesthood blessings because once Cam went tete-a-tete with the toilet bowl he was feeling much better.

Cam the night before Rory was born, complete with a fever, the chills, and the pukes.


Funny thing about knowing WHEN you're going to have your baby is you cannot sleep the night before. So right around 4 am the day we were to be induced both Cam and I woke up and watched Nelson Mandela's funeral live, because, heck, we were awake anyways. After that, we got a few hours of sleep in and woke up to a call from the hospital telling us to come in.

So it was just crazy. I was tired, and determined to have a VBAC. Cameron was EXHAUSTED, getting over the stomach bug, and determined to be a supportive husband. Lucky for us we got a room quick and the matriarch of all nurses. I told her my previous birth sob story/don't screw this up like they did at UCLA/seriously, don't f this up and we got all the attention and care we could've asked for. My doc showed up and popped my bag of water. He wasn't totally sure if he popped it or not, but they put what I call a puppy pad underneath me anyways. Well, he popped it because about 15 minutes later I thought I had wet my pants. Sexy. 

Not only was mr. man 11 days late, he also pooped in the water. Stinker. 

Anyways, where were we? Oh yeah, popped my water and then sent the anesthesiologist in ASAP to give me an epidural (just in case they needed to rush me in to get a c-section.) Cam was adorable and asking the anesthesiologist all sorts of questions about the epidural and how it worked, and she looked excited to have someone smart asking smart questions instead of another husband fainting or puking. My OB said that I'd have to dilate to a 3 in about 5 hours or I'd have to go into surgery. I was freaking out because I could see that I wasn't having ANY contractions on the monitor and was pretty convinced I was going to have another c-section. Long story short, I dilated to a 3 with no contractions in about 4 hours, and then they started me on pitocin to get things going. OH MY GOSH it was a long day. It was another ugh, what 9 hours for me to dialate from a 3 to a 6. 9 hours.

9. hours. 

I slept through most of it, whereas Cam was wide awake. It was torture because I couldn't eat anything and I was STARVING!! Freaking ice chips. what a joke.

My labor was taking so long that we switched over to our night nurse who was also a total baller. They screwed up the epidural a tad and I was only numb on one side of my body, so they told me to lay on my un numb side so the medicine could gravitate down there. Well, it didn't totally work so they kept pumping me with meds. The nurse was concerned that I was laying on one side for so long so she flipped me over, and within 10 minutes I told her I was getting light headed and was going to mega puke. Man, that lady was fast. She got me hooked up with Zofran, checked me and then was out of the room again. Apparently I had dilated from a 6 to a 10 and was completely effaced in 45 minutes, and that was why I was getting light headed.

Time to push! I started to push and she asked me if I wanted a mirror to help me see what pushing helped and what pushing didn't. So yeah, that sounds totally reasonable. Here's some advice: DON'T GET THE MIRROR! I am going to have nightmares of seeing those freaking hemorrhoids. Yeah, I said it. Hemorrhoids. Horrific. I was pushing for an hour and forty-five minutes when my OB came in and made things happen. I don't even know how, but we called him Hurricane Melendez because that guy made shiz happen. He was like a super intense football coach and it totally worked. As I was pushing he said "oh yeah, this'll be a nice 7 pounder." Then out popped Rory at 8 lbs 4 oz 19 inches of pure Jones perfection. He was totally gorgeous, and squirted his dad on his way out.

So it happened! I got my vbac! I kept saying "I can't believe it! I can't believe it!" after Rory was born because up until he was born I thought I was going to have another c-section. I worked out so hard my entire pregnancy so my body would be able to have a vbac, and it happened. It was that crazy high feeling of accomplishing a long term goal. It was totally awesome. 

So happy and RELIEVED it was over!


The other great thing about a normal birth is that I don't have to use any painkillers after the epidural. Because percocet makes me drugged. out. Like completely useless, sleepy and overly emotional. The recovery was SO MUCH EASIER! as well. Except for the stitches. Ouch, those hurt. 

So Cam and I decided on Rory Ekeland Jones as the name for #2. And yes, Rory is a boys name. It's scottish, and to be honest, we got the name from the golfer Rory McIlroy. And Ekeland is a Norwegian family name. During my pregnancy Cam and I got into family history work, and did the work for the entire Reier Gregoriusen Ekeland. Baller name. It was such an amazing experience that we wanted to name Rory after this family. And it also makes for a killer name in my opinion. 

So here we are 2 months later with a chunky and happy little love bug. Compared to child #1 he is so much easier, except for the whole nursing thing. He kinda sucked at nursing but is now getting the hang of it. The poor kid has only been alive for 2 months and has had a cold, pink eye and either a really gnarly cold or the flu. Joshy the bio-terrorist loves his brother so much that he can't keep his germy little hands off of him.

Ok! So that was my darling Rory's birth story! Forgive me my poor writing, I haven't been getting much sleep what with a newborn and everyone getting sick.

Comments

  1. Love it. Way to go. Glad things went how you hoped they would. And yes, stitches are ouchie! (although not nearly as painful as recovering from a C-section must be)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts